HOME
Revert to earlier web face

AnGenMap Archived Post

From listmasteranimalgenome.org  Tlistmaster Feb 22 09:13:26 2018
From: Romdhane Rekaya <rrekayauga.edu>
Subject: RE: Deep learning in animal breeding?
Postmaster: submission approved by list moderator
To: Members of AnGenMap <angenmapanimalgenome.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 09:13:26 -0600
Hi all:

The power of deep learning (DL) in solving very complex problems is
unquestionable and some niche applications in our field are likely.
However, its potential benefit could be limited in genomic selection for
several reasons: 1) the majority of genetic variation is additive for a lot
of traits so that non-linear relationships between genotypes and phenotypes
are less prevalent that other applications; 2) the convolution step (a kind
of feature selection step) is very useful in presence of complex hidden
structures as indicated by Patrik which is not likely to be the case with
genotype data; 3) although large, genotype data lack the heterogeneity
(variety of data types) that characterized big data.

>From implementation point of views and on top of the well-known overfitting
issues, conventional or DL neural networks analyses are largely based on
good heuristics regarding the network architecture and associated hyper-
parameters which are data dependent. With the existing high density or
sequence data, testing empirically for these parameters could be very
challenging computationally even with the use of GPU servers and parallel
computing.

>From breeding perspective, genetic evaluations are carried out jointly for
multiple traits where the fast majority of individuals are not genotypes. I
am not aware of any NN configuration that can deal with these two issues.
If that is true, potential benefit from DL compared to classical GS could
be reduced or even eliminated due to single trait analyses.

The paper mentioned by Bruce seems to be a good first study in the use of
DL in GS. However, the comparisons carried out in the study are a bit
unfortunate. In the comparison with FNN, Patrik already discuss the
limitations in his email. In comparison with classical GS implementations,
RR-BLUP is not the reference method. It is very clear from the paper that
the superiority of DL approach is due to feature selection (superiority of
DL was reduced when the number of SNPs were decreased as indicated in
figure 5 and superiority was magnified when alpha was reduced as presented
in figure 3). Thus, fair comparisons should have included methods that
prioritize SNPs based on statistical criteria (BayesB, BayesC and
BayesCPI), on prior information (BayesR and BayesRC) or population genetics
parameters (for example Fst scores; Chang et al. (2018)). A comparison
against a multivariate implementation using ssGBLUP could be highly
informative.

Finally, on the use of ensemble predictors or aggregation of experts, Dan
has discussed their potential limitations in one of his emails.

Romdhane Rekaya
Professor
Dept. of Animal and Dairy Science
Dept. of Statistics
Institute of Bioinformatics
106 Animal and Dairy Science Complex
University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Phone: 1-706-542 0949
Fax: 1-706-5830274

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 12:16 PM, DANIEL GIANOLA <gianolaansci.wisc.edu>
wrote:

> [...]
> congress is nurtured by strong and honest discussion).
>
>     In case that you are interested, the first study is an MS Thesis by
> McDowell ("Genomic selection with deep neural networks", Department of
> Agronomy, Iowa State University, 2016). There was no evidence of the
> superiority of the deep belief networks relative to other methods.
>
>     The second study, published in the Journal of Computational Physics
> (Rachmatia et al. 2017) is from an Indonesian group using CIMMYT maize
> data. They compared the deep learners with BLUP, the Bayesian Lasso and
> RKHS for 8 maize traits. In at least 5 of the 8 comparisons, the deep
> belief networks were a total disaster.
>
>     A most recent study from a Conference in Bioinformatics and
> Biomedicine (IEEE, 2017) Liu and Wang claimed success in two studies with
> soybeans (#markersC13, nQ39) and Pinus (#markersH53, n†1) and
> claimed that the deep learners extracted "meaningful" (to whom?)
> information on SNP effects from such learners. Clearly, this study cannot
> be taken as a canonical representation of the problems confronted by animal
> breeders where, in dairy breeding, for example, the number of variants
> today is at least 1 million.
>
>     If you have reached this message that far, this is what I tried to say
> but could not in WCGALP2018. How is it possible to state that methods are
> "obsolete" when there is no evidence to that effect? Further, the only
> evidence comes from three plant breeding studies only: it is not
> encouraging and tentatively provides support to a view that is contrarian
> to the tone of the talk by by Jeremy Howard.
>
>     I hope that quantitative geneticists will study the problem and
> establish whether or not deep learning will take us to a more exalted state
> of knowledge. In the meantime, support seems in favor of the null
> hypothesis, at least in our modest agricultural fields of endeavor.
>
>  If one of you succeed beyond a reasonable doubt you may end up in
> "Morning Joe"! It would be exciting and, perhaps, will make you a
> millionaire.
>
>     Regards.
>
> *Daniel Gianola*
> *Sewall Wright Professor Emeritus of Animal Breeding and Genetics*
> *Department of Animal Sciences*
> *Department of Biostatistics and Medical Informatics*
> *Department of Dairy Science*
> *University of Wisconsin-Madison*
> 440 Animal Sciences Building
> 1675 Observatory Dr.
> Madison, WI 53706
> USA
> Tel: +1-608-265-2054 <(608)%20265-2054>
> Fax: +1-608-262-5157 <(608)%20262-5157>
> http://www.ansci.wisc.edu/...typages/gianola.html
> htts://http://www.biostat.wisc.edu/...ntent/gianola-daniel
> http://qbi.wisc.edu/gianola-daniel.htm
>
> *"Nature is written in mathematical language (Galileo). If nothing
> else works, try Bayes theorem"*
>
> *"Bayesian methods with subjective priors may butcher the processes of
> science" (adapted from Oscar Kempthorne)*

© 2003-2024: USA · USDA · NRPSP8 · Program to Accelerate Animal Genomics Applications. Contact: Bioinformatics Team